This recipe of dry kala chana is a special punjabi recipe and the dry kala chana serve as the best complement with poori’s and paratha’s along with sooji ka halwa.
The simply boiled kala chana can be the best breakfast for a regular day and can also be serverd with chapatis for dinner. This recipe can be best for breakfast, brunch, lunch or even dinner.
Kala chana can be served with puri, roti, naan, bhatura or even plain bread. We can also use the leftover chana as a stuffing inside bread, topped with slices of onion, tomato, cheese and grilled/toasted and you have an amazing chana cheese sandwich ready.
- 2 cups kala chana
- 1 small ginger julienned
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chili chopped
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp cumin seeds powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp amchur powder
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 lemon sliced
- 4-5 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash the kala chana in running water for 3-4 times and then soak the kala chana overnight. Once they become plump it means they are completely soaked.
- Boil the chana in a pressure cooker with 1 tsp salt for 20-25 minutes till the chana is completely cooked. Once they get completely cooked strain the chana.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan on low flame , once the oil get heat properly add cumin seeds till they splutter
- Now add chana and mix well.
- Now add the julienned ginger and chopped green chili.
- Add garam masala powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, amchur powder, cumin seeds powder, black pepper powder and salt to the chana.
- Mix all the chana and spices well and let it get cook properly in the masala for a couple of minutes.
- Keep on stirring so that the dry chana masala do not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Garnish chana with chopped coriander leaves and serve kala chana hot with wedges of lemon.